A German post office in a Chinese city? Strange but true. In 1897, the Chinese government ceded Tsingtao (Qingdao) to Germany, which wanted it as a port for their fleet in the Pacific. The Germans planned and built the first European streets and buildings in the city, including the Tsingtao Brewery and this post office (on the left) at the corner of Prince Heinrich and Tripitz Strasse. Germany’s tenancy ended in 1914 when Japan occupied the city during the First World War.