In 1911, Hong Kong’s General Post Office moved into this building on Pedder Street (named after the port’s first Harbor Master, Lt. William Pedder). Sporting a generous complement of arches, the granite and red brick Edwardian was known as “The Old Lady of Pedder Street.” In 1951, E. Thorndike, Assistant Controller of the Posts, wrote this in Post Office Magazine:
“The present General Post Office, now completely inadequate and ill-equipped to cope efficiently with present-day traffic, was built in 1911 on a reclaimed sight. No doubt in its day it may have been considered an architectural masterpiece, but now its shabby red brick facade is dwarfed by the ultra-modern office blocks which have sprung up in more recent years, and are still springing up.”
It was torn down in 1976.