Kiandra was a small town in the Snowy Mountains of New South Wales, Australia. In winter, it was often isolated by heavy snowfall. In November of 1859, gold was discovered and by March of 1860, the population had swelled by 10,000. The Kiandra post office opened June 1, 1860, serving 15,000 people. In the winter, mail was carried in and out by a postman on skis.
A photo survives which records this practice, and it was probably used as reference for the art on the cigarette card shown above, published by W.D. & H.O. Wills, pioneers in this form of advertising. In 1861, after the “easy pickings” were exhausted, the population of Kiandra began to dwindle. The last gold mining operations ended around 1905. The last resident left in 1974, presumably after completing forwarding address forms.