The town of Walkermine (named for the Walker copper mine) had its own post office from 1930 to 1941. At an altitude of 6,500 feet on the side of Mt. Ingalls, the town got plenty of snow and was essentially cut off from the outside world during the winter months. A nine-mile aerial tramway that carried copper ore in buckets to the railway was used during the winter to transport the mail, food and occasional passengers. After producing $23 million worth of copper ore, the mine was closed in 1941, and Walkermine is today a ghost town with no buildings and only a few foundations showing where the town once stood.